Appointment by the Adjoining owner?

So your neighbour is planning to undertake building works to their property and these works are likely to affect your property and/or cause disruption to your daily life.

If your neighbour has spoken to you and seems to be aware of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 you may already have received a party wall notice. If not you can expect to receive this at least one month before the works are to commence. You will then have 14 days in which to respond to this in writing; either agreeing to the works as set out in the notice or dissenting to the works.

If you do not respond the situation will be deemed to be in dispute and an agreed joint party wall surveyor or individual party wall surveyors will have to be appointed to prepare a party wall award. Note, you cannot prevent lawful works from going ahead but, by responding appropriately, you can influence how the works are undertaken so as to minimise damage and disruption.

If you are concerned that work has already commenced without the proper legal notices and awards in place our Party Wall Surveyors can advise you of your options.

When appointed we can arrange for party wall notices to be sent directly to our office. This enables us to prepare and promptly serve all necessary responses and/or party wall counter notices. We take care of all the appointments and other arrangements that are necessary to reach an agreement, and issue appropriate party wall awards in accordance with the provisions of the Party Wall etc. Act of 1996

If the building’s owner consents the appointed party wall surveyor can act jointly. The appointed surveyor is obliged to act impartially and will take into account all the outstanding issues during the preparation of the party wall awards.

If the building’s owner wishes to employ their own party wall surveyor then your appointed Adair surveyor will undertake all the necessary dialogue with this surveyor in order to prepare the party wall awards.

The cost of all the party wall surveying services is usually – but not always – paid for by the building’s owner.